Trump and Biden are diametrically opposite when it comes to their respective immigration policy
We will discuss in brief how one differed from the other:
The Mantra for Biden’s Plan is to revive America as a nation of Immigrants:
“Unless your ancestors were native to these shores, or forcibly enslaved and brought here as part of our original sin as a nation, most Americans can trace their family history back to a choice–a choice to leave behind everything that was familiar in search of new opportunities and a new life”.
“Generations of immigrants have come to this country with little more than the clothes on their backs, the hope in their heart, and a desire to claim their own piece of the American Dream. It’s the reason we have constantly been able to renew ourselves, to grow better and stronger as a nation, and to meet new challenges. Immigration is essential to who we are as a nation, our core values, and our aspirations for our future”.———————————————————————————————–
“The United States deserves an immigration policy that reflects our highest values as a nation.”.
What Would Biden Do to the Existing Immigration Policies?
Let us talk about present asylum scenario little bit:
Please Note: Most of the existing draconian anti-immigrant rules have been introduced during Trump’s tenure.
- Trump Administration has worked against the tradition of freedom to drastically restrict access to asylum in the U.S.
- Imposed additional restrictions on anyone traveling through Mexico or Guatemala
- Attempted to prevent victims of gang and domestic violence from receiving asylum
- Systematically prosecuted adult asylum seekers for misdemeanor illegal entry
- Severely limiting the ability of members of the LGBTQ community, an especially vulnerable group in many parts of the world, from qualifying for asylum as members of a “particular social group.”
Biden will end all of these policies and restore humane asylum laws so they can protect vulnerable people.
Positive Changes In Asylum and Refugee Policies
- The Trump Administration’s policies have created a humanitarian disaster at our border and grossly mismanaged the unprecedented resources Congress has allocated for it
- Trump has diverted money to terrorize immigrant families, even as CBP facilities at the border are overwhelmed
Biden will bring the following changes to the existing policy:
- Surge asylum officers to efficiently review the cases of recent border crossers and keep cases with positive credible-fear findings with the Asylum Division
- Each Central American Asylum cases will be reviewed fairly and in full accordance with the law
- Migrants who qualify for an asylum claim will be admitted to the country through an orderly process and connected with resources that will help them care for themselves
- Restore asylum eligibility for domestic violence survivors
- Apply U.S. asylum laws to those fleeing political persecution
- Double the number of immigration judges, court staff, and interpreters
- End for-profit detention centers
- Increase the number of refugees we welcome into the country
Public Charge Rule
- Public Charge runs counter to American values:
- Allowing immigration officials to make an individual’s ability to receive a visa or gain permanent residency contingent on their use of government services such as SNAP benefits or Medicaid, their household income
- America has been a land of opportunity irrespective of class, or wealth
Biden will reverse public charge rule
Protection of Dreamers and their Families
- Obama- Biden created Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) to protect dreamers
- DACA provided young people who passed a background check and application process with temporary work permits and protection from deportation
- The Trump administration made the cruel and counterproductive decision to terminate DACA, throwing into turmoil the lives of millions of Dreamers
- Biden will remove the uncertainty for Dreamers by reinstating the DACA program
- He will explore all legal options to protect their families from inhumane separation
- Biden will also ensure Dreamers are eligible for federal student aid (loans, Pell grants) and are included in his proposals to provide access to community college without debt
- Invest in HBCU/Hispanic Serving Institution/Minority Serving Institutions
- Prohibiting Muslims from entering the country
- It is morally wrong, and there is no intelligence or evidence that suggests it makes our nation more secure
- It is yet, a policy designed to target primarily black and brown immigrants
Biden will immediately rescind the “Muslim bans.”
Review of Temporary Protected Status
- Biden will Order an immediate review of Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for vulnerable populations who cannot find safety in their countries ripped apart by violence or disaster
Immigrations and Customs Enforcement Agency(ICE) and Customs and Border Protection(CBP)
- Biden will ensure that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and Customs and Border Protection (CBP) personnel abide by professional standards
- ICE and CBP are held accountable for inhumane treatment
- Biden will increase resources for training and demand transparency in and independent oversight over ICE and CBP’s activities
- Under a Biden Administration, there will be responsible, Senate-confirmed professionals leading these agencies, and they will answer directly to the president
Visa Reform for Temporary Workers
- Biden will work with Congress to reform the current system of temporary work visas to allow workers in these select industries to switch jobs, while certifying the labor market’s need for foreign workers
- Employers should be able to supply data showing a lack of labor availability and the harm that would result if temporary workers were unavailable
- Prevent exploitation of temporary workers, and boost local economies.
High Skilled Workers
- High skilled temporary visas should not be used to disincentivize recruiting workers already in the U.S. for in-demand occupations
- Biden will work with Congress to first reform temporary visas to establish a wage-based allocation process
- Establish enforcement mechanisms to ensure they are aligned with the labor market and not used to lower wages
- Biden will support expanding the number of high-skilled visas and eliminating the limits on employment-based visas by country, which create unacceptably long backlogs
- This is a program that brings up to 50,000 immigrants from underrepresented countries to the U.S. each year
- Diversity preferences are essential to preserving a robust and vibrant immigration system
- As president, Biden will reaffirm our core values and preserve the critical role of diversity preferences to ensure immigrants everywhere have the chance to legally become U.S. citizens
Address the Root Causes of Migration
- Biden will address the root causes of migration by fostering greater security, economic development, and respect for the rule of law in Central America
- Biden will propose a four-year, $4 billion package of assistance for the region, with aid linked to governments in the region delivering measurable reductions in gang and gender-based violence, improvements in legal and educational systems, and implementation of anti-corruption measures, among other things
- Manage migration through refugee resettlement and other legal programs
Implementation of Effective Border Screening
Building a massive wall is not a serious policy solution
- Biden will Invest in better technology
- Biden Improve cross-agency collaboration
- Biden will Work with Mexico and Canada as partners — not as adversaries.
On a positive note: America Stood for Lady Liberty, it was a gift from France. It was a symbol of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of happiness.
You can find more details about Joe Biden’s Immigration Policy here
We have tried to cover existing policies and how it will change if Joe Biden becomes our president. Please let us know if you had any questions about certain policies. Talk to us on social media, or send your question using the form.
Talk to a reliable immigration attorney to explore your future employment visa options.